Here are a few highlights from a more comprehensive article on the Gibson site:
- Measure the guitar to check that it’s not undersized. Correct measurements can be found on www.Gibson.com.
- Examine headstock and headstock logo to determine that they match those of authentic Gibson guitars.
- Check to see that all pearl is inlaid.
- Check that Les Paul model script is always in cursive.
- Verify that there’s not a three-screw truss rod cover.
- Check the control and pickup cavities for sloppy routing or wiring.
- Make sure the pickup cavity is not painted black inside.
- Always ask for the Gibson Owner’s Manual and Gibson Warranty Inspection card.
- Check the wiring. If it’s plastic it isn’t a true Gibson.
- When all else fails, contact Gibson Customer Service at 1-800-4GIBSON.